Thursday, March 9, 2017

Rin & Ronen #2

This was originally handwritten on October 5, 2014.

~K

-----

Inside of the big top, a spacious place full of color, Ronen followed Rin toward the curtain at the back of the center ring. He needed to lock Rin's winnings into the safe while she was off changing into her rehearsal gear. Their mother rode by on a unicycle with the family's pet monkey on her shoulder.

"Babies!" She reached out to both of them.

Rin slowed her jog to a walk as she approached her mother for a big hug and kiss. "Mom! *mmmwah*" both mother and daughter made the smacking sound together, and once Ronen caught up he gave his mother a simple, sweet peck on the cheek.

"I saw the net being put up." Their mother said, as she balanced to perfection, pedaling easily back and forth. "Were the two of you going to practice?"

"Yes ma'am." Ronen answered. "I think we're going to practice trap today - might catch a nice big breeze while we're up there."

"Yeah, never mind that heat rises." Rin stuck out her tongue.

"Exactly. We won't be minding the heat at all." Ronen carried on seamlessly.

Their mother laughed. "You two are a blessed mess." She kissed Rin again. "Have fun."  She kissed Ronen. "Be careful."

Altogether they chimed "I love you," in a singsong unison.

Mama Renault swatted at her children in mock anger. "Ganging up on me now, huh? Come on Keymon, let's go tell Papa!"

They all shared one more laugh an Mama Renault cycled off to the ticket booth.

Ronen called out to Rin as she ran to the dressing rooms. "Hey! Let's meet back here in 5, okay? I have to put your ill-gotten gains away."

Rin grinned like a Cheshire cat, stuck out her tongue and scurried off to find her sweats. .

One of the great things about being the circus' accountant was that Ronen got the luxury of having his own caravan with the safe. To be honest, it was little more than a glorified office with a desk, a chair, a Murphy bed, and a micro-sized bath. He likened it to a normal fellow's moving out of their parents' home - that was how big a deal getting his own caravan was. Even though Ronen did everything else with his circus family - performing , eating, going for drinks - he liked having his own place to retire, sleep, and bathe in solitude. It was kind of pleasant. Although Ronen didn't feel the need for that solitude as Rin did, it was certainly something he could relate to her through. That was probably why he let her sneak in and hide with him from their parents from time to time. He opened the safe and pulled out the money bag - noticing how woefully thin it had become. Then he counted each of the bills carefully and notated them in the revenue credits column of the ledger book sitting open on his desk. Yes, Rin had definitely saved them again. He just wished she hadn't had to gamble to do it. "What would we do without her? Where would we be?" He sighed, then put everything back in the safe and returned to the center ring where Rin was already waiting.

-----

(This was originally handwritten on October 11, 2014.)

-----

Hanging upside down, Rin swung back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Ronen was right, there was a nice breeze up here, even if you had to swing to feel it. She wondered why that was. She grabbed the swing bar and pulled herself upright as Ronen climbed the ladder.

"Start without me?"

"Of course. You take too long doin' that count-y thing."

"Ha ha Rin... that count-y thing I do keeps us all in the black."

"WHAT?! Keeps us in black?! I'm not wearing black in the next show, Ro. You know my favorite color is blue."

"Yeah? Well, I like being in black better than being in red. Hup!" Ronen prepped as he swung out to get a momentum going.

"Oh yeah? Why?"

The two began to practice their trapeze act. "Because if I'm ever in the red it means something has gone wrong."

First an easy ride out and switch. "Yes Ro," Rin said. "You're illusions have reached a higher calibre in performance lately."

Next came the easy catches, and so on and so forth.

"You really want to tease me while I'm about to be the only thing keeping you from falling into the net?"

-----

(This was originally handwritten on October 12, 2014.)

-----

"What can I say Ro? I'm a risk taker."

"A risk taker huh? So, Risk Taker? Are you ready to one-arm?

"Ummm nope."

"Why not?"

"The last time we attempted to one-arm, you dropped me."

"Well, neither of us will get better at it if we don't practice."

"I'm not ready to one-arm. Can't we juggle instead?"

Ronen sighed, he still felt terrible. It had scared both of them pretty badly the last time he hadn't caught her. He was anxious to get past that -- anxious for Rin to trust him again -- to prove to himself that he deserved her trust. But, he had no choice, he had to give her time. He couldn't be the one to catch her until she chose to let go. A flute piping into the big top  interrupted his thoughts.

"Piper!"

"Ronen!"

The girls man, the girls! I just got in from town and boy those girls... just so... " Ronen's best friend looked wistfully off into space.

"Piper... Piper!" His friend snapped out of his reverie. "Did you sell all the tickets?"

"I am an artist Ronen, not a salesperson!"

"Pipe! If you didn't sell those pre-sale tickets, I'm going to feed you to the Huts."

"You didn't let me finish man. I'm not a salesperson,... but I got rid of the pre-sales. You owe me man. Huge!"

"Had to pull a 'Pied Piper of Renault' move, did you Pipe?" Rin teased.

"Nope. But any time you wanna try that out Rin, I've got your pipe."

-----

(This was originally handwritten on October 13, 2014.)

-----

"Pipe! Shut up! How'd you get ride of all the pre-sales?"

"Ronen, man... you understand magic. and you know that a magician never reveals his secrets. Here's the dough though." Piper waved the bills high in the air. "You want it? Come and get it!"

Ronen looked at Rin. "Go." Rin waved Ronan off. "We were almost finished anyway. Go down and take care of the almighty dollars. I'll finish up and come down by myself."

"Okay -- be careful." Ronen let go of the bar and fell into the net just for the hell of it. It was nice to be able to just let go and fall sometimes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment